Is it just me, or does the wallet take forever to open?

Discussion in 'VeriCoin Support' started by Vishera, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Vishera

Vishera @Vishera310 Forum Staff

I have 2 VeriCoin wallets on 2 computers, one is an old one that I rarely ever touch, that's for staking, and the other I actively use, so I don't stake on it, because I'm usually opening and closing the wallet every day. But on both computers, especially this new one I'm using it takes a very long time for the wallet to open. I mean a really long time...

Today, I opened the wallet and literally took about 35 minutes for the wallet to open. That's from me clicking on the wallet, it going through whatever it does, then it closes, but still it's running in the background for the longest of time, then it opens to where your suppose to enter the passphrase.

Does this happen for anyone else? It could just be because I'm running the wallet on lower end hardware computers, but still... Is there anything that can be done about it taking so long to open?

2. pnosker

pnosker Administrator

I'd guess your wallet probably has thousands of change addresses or inputs. You could send all your coin to a brand new wallet and it would probably open instantaneously. Or you could use coin control and combine all your coins into a new input and send to the same address, export the private key, and import to a fresh wallet. The same thing happens to other BTC derived wallets with a lot of inputs.

3. Vishera

Interesting...
    7000 transactions.
    mostly interest.

4. pnosker

pnosker Administrator

Yep, that would do it. Every staked interest is effectively a doubling of the inputs (your initial input that was the base VRC and a second input for the interest), so 14,000 inputs would make your wallet pretty slow.

Vishera likes this.
  5. Vishera

Okay, I do get that wallet. I hardly ever open and close that wallet, maybe once every 2 months. But this other computer I have my other wallet on, it does take a long time, and there's > 15 transactions on it because I don't stake on this one.
    Could it be that this computer is slow? (It really is, low end processor, low RAM, Low SSD only 32 GB)

6. pnosker

pnosker Administrator

Try backing up your wallet.dat and removing it and seeing how fast it starts up. If it's still slow with a brand new wallet.dat, then yes the computer is the issue.