How do I load wallet.bat with all the address previously generated?

Discussion in 'VeriTalk' started by JTHK, Sep 1, 2016.

1. JTHK

JTHK Member

How do I load wallet.bat with all the address previously generated?
    My com crashed and I need those address to generate the private key in order to load them on verium wallet. Can anyone help?

Thanks J

2. souljah1h

souljah1h infinite potential Forum Staff

You don't have a backup of the wallet.dat?

Janek likes this.
  3. JTHK

JTHK Member

Hi, I do. I loaded the wallet.bat but it only shows 1 address. There should be more... or is there something i'm not doing right? can you advise. Thanks J

4. souljah1h

How many addresses did your old wallet have?

Maybe you did not import the old wallet.dat (the one with more than 1 address) correctly.

How do you import the old wallet.dat?

And did you try using File Menu > Rescan wallet?

5. JTHK

JTHK Member

Hi, There's should be a few, one of it was use for Verium ico. I replaced the wallet.bat with the one in the Appdata.

Yap I tried rescan the wallet but only 1 address shows up. But i'm able to see all the records of the verium ico. Can you advise. Thanks J

6. pnosker

pnosker Administrator

Let's be clear: the wallet is not a .bat file but .dat. you should see every address in the address book in the file menu.

7. VRC Ninja

VRC Ninja Veri Dedicated

I had the same thing happen after my wallet.dat became corrupted. That wallet.dat was the most current at the time. I had an older backup which when I reloaded did not include the new address that was created to send coins to the ICO. I tried everything to restore the wallet including using -repairwallet or -salvage wallet and nothing worked. Thanks again Pat for trying to assist. My next plan was to try to use pywallet with no success.

Ultimately, what I did thanks to Scott Allyn was to create a new address again using the newly restored old backup wallet.dat. I got super lucky in that by the third address I created the address that was created before generated again. It had the priv key that I needed and I was able to import that into the Verium wallet. Scott explained that wallets are built with up to 100 pre-determined addresses. If you generate enough of them, you will eventually run into the one you had before and the priv key will be the same.

I was very concerned for about 3 days until that solution ended up working. Problem solved. I can't guarantee this will work but it has a high likelihood. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

8. JTHK

JTHK Member

Sorry. Yap I did backup a .dat file but still no luck. What else can i try?

9. souljah1h

Read the post above yours.

10. JTHK

JTHK Member

This is so crazy. It actually works!. I was able to generate the correct address from the 1st attempt. Thanks for the Tip @VRC Ninja

VRC Ninja likes this.
  11. VRC Ninja

VRC Ninja Veri Dedicated

You are welcome!